Our front steps were pretty fugly. Not just fugly though, rusty and disgusting too. To the point where if you used the railings you might leave our house with some paint chips stuck in your hands. But not anymore! Nope. I sanded and painted those bad boys to the point where they look brand new (not really but I like to think so).
As you can see from the before pics, it was pretty out of control. In the pic below, check out the wood right below the front door. Yes, that rotted and chipped thing. That wood was about to snap in half. We had to tell guests that entered our house to step over the wood so it doesn’t break. Totally normal request right?
I used a spackle knife to scrape off the excess paint and rust, then I used our Black and Decker hand sander to sand down as much as I could (If you’re attempting a project similar to this make sure you’re definitely wearing eye protection).
Then came the fun part: painting! I started out painting the railings. I did them all white at first and thought it looked a bit off, so I did the top parts navy. We used a Valspar exterior paint for the navy and a flat white exterior by Olympic for the white paint on the railings.
And the finished result! I love it compared to what it was. Night and day difference if you ask me.
And there’s that nasty piece of wood again. Say bye-bye to the rotted wood because Charlie’s dad helped us out with that one. He took out that part of the step and totally fixed the shiz out of it.
Ta-da! A beautiful new step. A little bit of paint and this side of the house will look brand spankin’ new. Stay tuned 😉
If you have any specific questions about this project ask away! Happy Monday!